Read the Woburn home staging success story below to find out how a family sold their home $35,100 over asking price at the first open house!The Consultation:
We met with the homeowners on a recommendation from their real estate agent. When we came to the home we could immediately tell that this was a family home with pets. There were children's photos and drawings, and large cat climbing posts throughout the home. The owner explained that they had found their dream home and needed to sell their current home quickly to avoid carrying two mortgages.The Home:
The 2250 square foot center hall colonial home has 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms, with hardwood floors and granite counter tops. It also has a formal living room and a large family room with a fireplace. It is located on a cul-de-sac, which is a fantastic plus for a family with young children.Home Preparation:
The home didn't need any repairs or painting prior to listing. However, it needed decluttering, depersonalization, and removal of wall decals and pet related items in order to aid in achieving a home staging success story.Woburn Home Staging Assessment of Buyer Demographic:
Woburn is located about 20 minutes north of Boston, so it is likely that the buyers will be commuting to the city for work. The median income is slightly higher than that of the average Massachusetts resident; however the education level is slightly lower. There are fewer school age children in Woburn as compared to the rest of Massachusetts, and the school system is rated a 5 out of 10.Although the research showed that as a whole not many families look to buy in Woburn, this particular home is obviously a family home and we couldn't ignore that fact. Therefore, we staged the home to appeal to a young family with one or two children.Formal Living Room Transformation:
The formal living room was being used as a children's play room, and didn't show the true function of the space. To help achieve a home staging success story we did the following:
Dining Room Transformation:
- Asked the homeowners to clear the room, then move one of the two sofas they had in the family room into the formal living room.
- Staged the room to show its intended function by placing the sofa on the wall opposite the foyer to create a welcoming feel.
- Added a chair, colorful area rug and bright décor to appeal to the targeted buyer.
The dining room was large and bright with a tray ceiling detail. The room had great bones, but it wasn't being shown to its full potential. In order to achieve a home staging success story, we did the following:
- Continued the theme of fresh, bright accents to appeal to a younger buyer, but kept it formal. The paintings we chose for the walls had mirrored frames, which felt young, and bright, yet sophisticated.
- Set the table with dishes in colors pulled from the artwork, and added a dramatic centerpiece to the center of the table.
- Set up a wine bottle in an ice bucket, along with a floral and some wine glasses on the buffet and added a mirror on the wall above.
- From the dining room the kitchen eating area is visible, which was left empty by the homeowners. We added a pub height table with four chairs to give purpose to the space.
The kitchen was very desirable with granite counter tops, a contrasting granite on the island and lots of cabinets. We highlighted these great features by having the owner clear the clutter and then we added décor with pops of coral. The kitchen showed as stylish and functional. The coral continued the color theme from the adjoining dining room and contrasted beautifully against the dark granite. Master Bedroom Transformation:
The master bedroom was large with lots of light. However, it was somewhat cluttered and felt lackluster although the furniture was new and expensive. After the homeowners decluttered, we used their bedding, but added another layer of bedding and accent pillows to add interest. We changed out their lamps and reused some of their existing artwork. The overall feeling was colorful, neat and upscale, which helped achieve this home staging success story. The Result:The homeowners received 3 offers after the first open house, and the home sold $35,100 over the asking price.
The owners were very happy and relieved with their home staging success story. They were in a hurry to sell, and didn't expect to sell over asking price. They were thrilled and excited that they could use the excess profit from their home to buy new furniture for their new dream home.If you'd like to know how much you could potentially make/save by home staging, download our Savings by Staging Guide.
Interested in a home staging company that customizes the design plan to attract the right buyer? Call us at 781-489-8489 and we can answer any questions you may have.SaveSave